What’s So Bad About Grapes?

Giving people food to your pup is never the best idea, but there are some foods in particular that you should definitely avoid. The first one that comes to most people’s mind is chocolate, but there’s another deadly snack that everyone should be aware of: grapes.

There are some fruits that are safe for your pet (like watermelon, strawberries, and apples), but grapes are definitely not one of them. If eaten, they can cause serious kidney problems and even complete renal failure. Scientists haven’t yet been able to pinpoint the exact compound that makes them so harmful.

The amount of grapes it takes to be toxic for your dog varies by size and breed, but it’s definitely not something you want to test. Especially for smaller breeds, as little as just a few grapes can have harmful effects on their kidneys. Grapes have also been shown to be harmful in cats, but they seem less interested in them so there have been fewer reported cases.

Nausea, diarrhea, lethargy, and increased thirst are all potential signs of grape poisoning. If you think your dog has eaten grapes, it’s important to call your veterinarian right away. They can induce vomiting to help prevent further spread of the toxin.

Remember that raisins are simply dried grapes, so they should definitely be avoided as well. The next time you’re looking for a tasty treat for your pupper, remember that they definitely won’t enjoy those cotton candy grapes as much as you do.

Become an Insider

Sarah Cookson

Writer/Dog Enthusiast living in New York City. Only goes to parties in hopes there will be a dog there to hang out with. Her resolutions for 2017 were to eat healthier and pet more pups. Bet you can guess which one she stuck with.

Your inbox could be cuter.