Study Shows Half of Women Would Prefer Their Pup Over Their Partner

There’s no question that the best way to spend a Friday night is curled up in cashmere pajamas on the couch, perhaps enjoying your favorite trashy TV show. But who would you want sitting beside you? According to a new study from dog chow brand Just Right by Purina, turns out that half of women would prefer to spend a night in with their pup than with their partner, as reported by People Pets.



Over 1,000 dog owners participated in the 2018 Pets and People Survey, with 95 percent agreeing with the sentiment that their dog is a part of their family. (What’s up with the other 5 percent, right?!) What’s more, though, is that about 50 percent of the female respondents said their pet is their favorite family member, admitting that they’d prefer to spend time with their furry friend over their betrothed.


But our furry friends are really our best friends, too: The report also found that 62 percent of those surveyed say that their dogs help them de-stress after a tough day of work, and 55 percent believe their dog provides emotional comfort after receiving bad news. So in case it wasn’t clear, having a pet dog is so much more than a furry friend, but also a confidante and source of support, too.


Become an Insider

Rachel Zoldan

Rachel Jacoby Zoldan is a freelance writer and editor living in New York City with her husband two cats, Gerry and Cookie. (Who are, yes, named after a film about dogs.)

Your inbox could be cuter.