Saltwater Poisoning Caused a Dog’s Death—Here’s What You Need to Know

Bringing your beloved pup to the beach isn’t a totally novel idea: Dogs are known to have a blast playing alongside the surf and sand. But tragedy struck last week when saltwater poisoning caused a dog’s death after an otherwise fun day outdoors in Florida, as reported by the Dogington Post.



Chris Taylor, a resident of Tampa, FL, planned on spending his afternoon on a recent Monday at the dog beach the way he always did—alongside his Labrador retriever, a 7-year-old boy named OG. But last week, the nightmare of saltwater poisoning became a reality for OG. After spending a few hours swimming and playing in the ocean, the Lab reportedly started having stomach issues and the following day was unusually lethargic; by Wednesday, OG stopped eating and became unresponsive. Despite being rushed to the vet for emergency treatment, OG succumbed to the saltwater poisoning that caused his untimely passing.


According to experts interviewed on ABC7, when dogs ingest large amounts of saltwater, the saltwater can cause severe brain damage, dehydration and seizures. For example, Dr. Katy Meyer, with Tampa Bay Emergency Veterinary Services, said when sodium levels get really high, they affect the brain and your pet’s life is in danger.


The best advice is to keep beach time to a minimum—2 hours or less—and stop for frequent play and water breaks. Make sure to keep yourself hydrated as well!





Become an Insider

Rachel Zoldan

Rachel Jacoby Zoldan is a freelance writer and editor living in New York City with her husband two cats, Gerry and Cookie. (Who are, yes, named after a film about dogs.)

Your inbox could be cuter.