Pretty Flowers That Are Pretty Poisonous

Spring is here and there’s nothing better than picking up that first, fresh bouquet of spring flowers. But if you have a furry friend waiting for you at home, be extra careful about what blooms you buy. Some types of flowers and plants can make your pet really sick and can even be deadly. Here’s a list of some of the most dangerous.


No, I’m not talking about Iggy. These pretty pink bushes look great in your yard, but don’t let your pets near them. Eating just a few leaves could cause vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling. Without medical attention, they could even fall into a coma.

Credit: Plant Care Today


Hocus crocus, be careful with these purple petals. There are two different types, but both are potentially dangerous. The autumnal version is highly toxic and can cause liver and kidney failure. The spring version is not quite as deadly, but can still cause serious stomach problems.

Credit: Kingofwallpapers


They make a great addition to a bouquet, but be really careful where you place them. Certain types of lilies (like Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese Show) are extremely toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure. Other types of lilies are less poisonous, but can still cause mouth problems and drooling.

Credit: Pinterest


Nothing goes better with a sunny spring day than a beaming yellow daffodil. But keep these pretty petals away from your pets. If they eat parts of the bulb, plant, or flower, they could experience vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even more serious symptoms like cardiac arrhythmia.

Credit: Country Living


Tulips are almost too dangerous to have in your garden. Their bulbs are very poisonous and can cause trouble for your curious canine. They can irritate the mouth and esophagus and cause heart and breathing problems when ingested in large quantities. If you have these around, make sure to keep a very close eye on your pet.

Credit: Tulip Time


Hyacinths, cya Fluffy. Much like tulips, the bulbs of these plants are very dangerous to pets. When eaten, they cause vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors. They may smell nice, but keep them far far away from your furry friend.

Credit: American Meadows

This is just a few of the potentially dangerous plants that you should try to avoid. For a more extensive list, check out the ASPCA’s list of toxic and non-toxic plants. And, as always, take your pet to the vet if you sense any strange behavior or if they experience any of these symptoms.

Become an Insider

Sarah Cookson

Writer/Dog Enthusiast living in New York City. Only goes to parties in hopes there will be a dog there to hang out with. Her resolutions for 2017 were to eat healthier and pet more pups. Bet you can guess which one she stuck with.

Your inbox could be cuter.