Kansas Dog Saves Family From Fire

A house fire is a tragedy no matter the time of year, but it’s especially hard around the holidays. But one Kansas family has much to be grateful for after flames ripped through their home.


Every member of the Potter family is safe because of their one-year-old dog, Buster.



According to ksn.com, Buster woke his owner, Sarah Potter, up around 9:30am by barking and jumping on her.  Potter assumed the dog was just reacting to her boyfriend coming in the house, but he didn’t let up.


Potter then moved to the back of the house, where she discovered flames engulfing the floor, walls, and ceiling. She was able to grab her daughter before the fire reached her room.


Buster and the remainder of the family fled the house, and firefighters were on the scene by 10am.


“All the Christmas presents…everything we bought for the kids are gone,” she told the web site. “They were in the basement and burned. I worked hard for those gifts.”


Potter said the fire was powerful and took away a lot of things, but thanks to Buster, it didn’t take away her family.


Become an Insider

Maureen Dempsey

Maureen Dempsey is a freelance writer living in New York with an ancient, 14-year-old chihuahua and a feisty, young dachshund.

Your inbox could be cuter.