Family Dog Dies After Eating Chewing Gum—Here’s What You Need to Know

While chewing gum is a daily staple for many, turns out the sweet treat can be far less for your dog—in fact, one family’s beloved dog recently died after eating chewing gum, as reported by The Dogington Post.


Story goes that a 3-year-old Husky mix named Canon was totally fine until suddenly losing his appetite and developing an intense thirst. “Then he started vomiting the water and so that kind of was the red flag that made us decide to take him to the hospital. They gave him some IV fluids, sent us home with a bunch of antibiotics, and told us if he got worse take him on to Nashville’s Pet ER,” Canon’s owner, Christy Figlio told local news station WZTV.


And by the time Canon arrived at the ER, he had a whopping 107 degree fever and was in liver failure, both symptoms of xylitol poisoning. Veterinarians said Canon could’ve ingested gum that was spit out somewhere outside on the sidewalk, or even just ingested a stick of gum that had fallen out of a purse.


“Had I known that gum could be so deadly, it wouldn’t be allowed on our property,” Figlio said. A lesson to all to never leave chewing gum out!


Photo: Hybrid on Unsplash


Become an Insider

Rachel Zoldan

Rachel Jacoby Zoldan is a freelance writer and editor living in New York City with her husband two cats, Gerry and Cookie. (Who are, yes, named after a film about dogs.)

Your inbox could be cuter.